Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mushroom barley soup throwdown!


I love soup. It is probably one of my favorite foodie things. I am probably one of the few people who crave soup on even a summer day. Even on the worst of days, a warm, hearty soup just makes the day better.

Some days when I'm out running errands I have my lunch at Whole Foods market. On this particular afternoon my brother met me for lunch and we decided to split a sandwich and some soup. The soup that caught both our eye was a mushroom barley. It looked hearty and healthy. I really enjoyed it. So when I got home I decided I had to duplicate that soup. I had some mushrooms on hand I wanted to use up so I started cooking. This is what I came up with. I love this soup and so did my meat loving husband.

If you love soup but are tired of the same ol' chicken noodle, give this a try.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 1 cup of diced onion
  • 3/4 cup diced carrot
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 lb of sliced mushrooms
  • 6 cups of beef broth
  • 3/4 cup of pearl barley
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender and transparent. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes. Pour in the beef broth and add barley. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment