Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Better than take-out sweet & sour chicken


I love any type of asian food; chinese, vietnamese, korean, japanese. You name it, I love it. I found this recipe in my issue of Rachael Ray magazine and knew I had to try it. I had most of the ingredients already in my pantry but if you do not, it is a cheap meal to make anyways. This dish was so delicious and probably way better for you than any sweet & sour chicken you would get at a restaurant.

Ingredients
  • salt & pepper

  • 1 cup rice ( I like brown rice)

  • 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved

  • 2 tbsp white vinegar

  • 2 tbsp soy sauce

  • 4 tsp cornstarch

  • 1 tbsp ketchup

  • 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger

  • 1 1/4 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces

  • 1 tbsp red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil; stir in the rice. Cover, lower heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. (or use a rice cooker, that is what I do!)

  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, 2 tsp cornstarch, the ketchup and ginger. In a bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining 2 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes, transfer to a plate. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple chunks and reserved chicken.

  4. Whisk the pineapple juice mixture into the chicken mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve over rice.

  5. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Okay I came looking for a pork chop recipe and decided you need to start tagging your recipes so I can find them easier. Can we do that on blogger? I think I'm going to try your ground turkey sloppy joes next. I'm on a turkey kick lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to learn how to organize by chicken, pork, beef, salad, etc....Do you know how to do that? Yes, make the sloppy joes, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, yum! I might actually have most of those ingredients too! YAY!

    ReplyDelete