Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Acorn Squash: A yummy and cheap fall side dish!

We made this special meal a couple of saturdays ago, Brian happened to have a rib-eye steak from this summer he wanted to eat so I went to the store and treated myself to my favorite steak the oh so yummy filet! This post is not about steak though, I'm the last person who would want to tell you how to cook that. Someday I will branch out and try to cook it but it still scares me. Who wants to spend a pretty penny on a good cut of steak only to ruin it...not this girl.

This post focuses on one of the sides, the simple acorn squash. I was at the store and noticed a big bin of them and they were some so cheap! Like 30 cents! So I knew how much my mom loves them so thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did, it was delicious and very simple. I already have a fall rice dish from a new cooking magazine that I want to try with chunks of squash in it. So if you haven't tried squash before, branch out this fall and give this recipe a try!

Ingredients
  • 1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Place halves of acorn in a shallow pan, flesh side up. Put a little water in the pan. Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each half and one tablespoon of brown sugar in each.
  3. Bake about 45 minutes until fork tender and the brown sugar/butter has started to caramelize.

No comments:

Post a Comment