Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another great crock pot meal made by my husband: Beef Barley Stew

It is June and the rain has yet to stop in Washington, so I am still craving comfort foods. I decided I wanted to make a stew and was excited when I saw this recipe unlike previous beef stews I have made. Don't make my lack of picture for this recipe stop you from trying it, stew just really isn't a very photogenic meal, but I promise if you try this you will not be disappointed. What really made me want to try this particular recipe was the replacement of potatoes by the barley. If you like stew and are in need of a good comfort food this is one to try! If you consider yourself a non-cook, you will be successful with this one, I promise! Look at the directions, they do not get any easier than that!!!!!!!!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb lean stew meat cut into small pieces
  • 4 carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper (color of your choice), coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
  • 1/2 lb fresh button mushrooms, quartered
  • 3/4 cup dry pearl barley
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried sweet basil
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 cups fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
  2. Cover. Cook on low 9-10 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I love the crockpot recipes. When you are a new mommy, you will look for these easy, one-pot dinners. :) How are you doing, prego??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing wonderful Miss! How are you!? Yes this is a great, hearty, quick meal! Good for a mom on the go or just someone who is busy=)

    ReplyDelete